View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:53 AM   #13
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Under the heading of "things I didn't know about the EX250", the following situation...

I knew when I replaced the Turn Signal bulbs with LED bulbs that I would also have to replace the Turn Signal Flasher-Relay because the original relay wouldn't be compatible with the low-amperage nature of the LED bulbs, which results in the notorious "fast flash" effect.

So when I made my original order from Superbrightleds.com I also ordered their plug-n-play "Flasher Relay for LED". It comes with a plug that matches the original plug on the EX250 wiring harness.

When I installed the LED bulbs and flasher relay it went exactly to plan, the turn signals blink at the proper rate and the turn signal bulbs are brighter than original.

The unexpected problem was that the instrument panel turn signal indicator light stopped working. I discovered that the wiring harness inputs to the instrument panel turn bulb (surprisingly it's just a single bulb that's supposed to flash the same for either right or left turn indication) don't have a true, dedicated path-to-ground. Instead the bulb gets its power through the side of the turn signals that are being used and its grounding path is through whichever turn signals are not being used, and this is a very long, indirect path-to-ground. The new LED bulb I put in the instrument panel didn't like this situation at all.

So I simply added a second LED bulb into the turn signal indicator position on the instrument panel (a tight fit in the existing space behind the green turn signal lens, but it works). This allowed me to have a dedicated bulb for each side (one bulb for left turns, one bulb for right turns) with proper/normal wiring. The result is very good.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote