Thread: Chain Lube ?
View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2021, 04:30 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Chain Lube ?

I just saw a very interesting video on you tube about chain lube and lubing your chain in general....
this guy replaced his chain and did not ever lube it and low and behold it lasted the same length of time as his last one did that he lubed constantly.
.... also there are advocats to the understanding that it's oiling the chain mainly to keep it from rusting... ...
I've always oiled my chain I've mainly used motor oil or chainsaw bar oil
which is stickier than normal oil...
however I have ran my chains dry as a bone at times with no ill effects that I could see....
Could this actually be true ? you really don't have to lube the chain at all except to keep the rust off ?
I've found that when putting on a new chain that within 200 miles on that chain you need to re adjust the chain tension as it will stretch. no matter how much you lube it ! they do wear in !!!
I also found on bicycle chains, a quick sprey of WD40 on the chain usually frees up most of the chain no matter how rusted up they get ! LOL
....( although they are a far cry from a motorcycle chain)
Back in my Youth I busted a chain on my Honda 90 so I went to the other parts honda 90 I had that didn't have a seat and had bent handle bars on it... and litterally dug the old rusty chain out of the dirt and cleaned it up lubed it real well and got every link to move freely once again and then put it on my bike, which I oiled about once a week and I rode it every day about 20 miles.
that old chain lasted me for years... finally when it was so far gone and the sprocket teeth were sharp points I changed both sprockets and the chain
( they didn't have O ring chains back then) and that chain and sprocket set was on the bike till I sold it.
so I kind'a have to believe that it really doesn't matter if you lube the chain or not, but do lube it enough to keep the rust off it..and your good to go !
Lubing a chain brings with it a danger the oil or lube that you put on the chain can and will sling off almost immediately and get on the side of the tire
hang a corner too tight and you might go for a slide on the tarmac after oiling a chain ! so keep that in mind ! if you lube a chain take it easy for a good 20 miles and perhaps hit a dirt road as well to get the oil off the tire
I'd like to hear comments from everyone about how you lube the chain
what you lube it with and how long a chain will last you with your riding
I am sure some of you know that !
.... Supposedly the guy in the video said he got 27,000 miles out of the chain with lubing the chain and 27,000 miles without lubing the chain.
and that really defies LOGIC ! the chain should last 2 times as long if you lube it... but apparently not !
Bob.........