View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:53 AM   #32
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieathonda View Post
Interesting. So the ricor intimidator would not need modification to the damping rod but some people have drilled it out anyway? I believe cuong drilled it out to 10mm. And does this modification apply to the existing holes or are there additional holes that are drilled like shown in the emulator DIY?

I think I will stick with 5w and get the appropriate spring. I'm not sure if I should get a custom set at .641 or just stick the ex500 and space it out appropriately.
Spacing the kit doesn't increase spring rate, it just to set the sag.

If you want to increase the rate, you need to cut them to the appropriate length for your new spring rate.

To calculate new spring rate = (original spring length / modified spring length) * original spring rate

So if your getting a set off a 2nd Gen EX (94 & up) the spring is 17" About and cut 2" off your new rate will about .66, then just get some pvc pipe and make new spacers.

SIDENOTE: 1st Gen EX500 (pre 94') use a much longer spring about 20.5" same rate, this gives you more spring to experiment with.

A quick way to figure overall length is the measure the original spring, and spacer total length , this will get you in the ballpark of the OEM setting.

You should cut the new spacers a little bit longer 1" or so you can then trim the down to set the sag.

If you mess up, no worries hopefully you got the 10' pvc pipe, plenty of room to experiment with.

If you want them stiffer, just cut more off the spring, and new spacers.

It's easy to do, as I've done the spring modification to both my EX, and Ninjette(EX springs) and I'm happy with the results and saving some cash as well.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote