View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:59 AM   #36
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post

Do you already have the EX500 springs, or can you get them quite cheap? A standard set of springs is ~$90. I'm not sure how much a custom rate would be on top of that. Ricor suggests that they use a lot of damping, so you can use a lower spring rate, if you're considering the Intiminators. You're close to .65, but may want to consider .60 (still 36% stiffer than stock). At that point, the EX500 springs at .585 (33% stiffer than stock) are pretty darn close if you can get them substantially cheaper. They're nearly useless on the 500 (they should be about 36% stiffer just to match the rear spring for a 130lb rider), so there's a good chance you can find some for next to nothing. There's a lot of value in getting 95% of the way there for $10.

Note that spacers/preload can never make up for a spring of the wrong rate. Preload can take some of the squishy feeling out of a soft spring, but it does so by pre-compressing it toward the bottom ahead of time (pre... loading...) so that it doesn't travel as far in use. The same force on a spring will always compress it down to the same length, determined by the spring's rate, regardless of how much initial preload is on it.

I do not currently have them. A few sellers on ebay have a fork set for sale for 1/2 the price of the springs alone (new, couldnt find used fork springs by themselves). the only problem is i havent ogtten any information back on them to see if the fork sets have the springs as well. its about 30-50 dollars for a used fork set from ebay.

My initital plan is to just drop in the ex500 spring. depending on what year i get i will have to cut the spacer correctly to size..

I havent taken apart the forks yet so i do not know of where all of the components sit just yet. I only can reference back to diagrams and such online.

So will the ex500 be a drop in? From my understanding i should take the original spring and spacer total length, then measure the ex500 spring and make a spacer appropriately so that the ex500 spring and new spacer come out to the same total length of the stock spring and spacer, correct?
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote