View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
2015 Western Wander

My story begins last year, when I got home from one of the most epic trips I'd taken in two or four wheels. As soon as I got back I began thinking "Where to next?"

A few ideas came up, a monsterous 10-n-10 (10k miles, 10 days; alas I learned I burn out after three days hard riding), a National Parks tour (truck broke that caused my wallet to break also and lack of time), a trip down US Route 6 (tricky as the route back East nearly vanishes into the confusion of small town history). In the end, decided on a lot of mini goals vs one major goal.

GOAL: I'm attempting the Four Seasons Saddlesore, which is a SS1K on the day of the solstices and equinoxes. Since this is my summer vacation, the summer solstice is when I must be riding to claim credit. For 2015, those dates are:

Seasons of 2015:
SPRING EQUINOX: March 20, 6:45 P.M. EDT
SUMMER SOLSTICE: June 21, 12:38 P.M. EDT
FALL EQUINOX: September 23, 4:21 A.M. EDT
WINTER SOLSTICE: December 21, 11:48 P.M. EST

GOAL: Nevada started a State Park Passport program to encourage locals and visitors to get out to the various parks throughout the state. The cool thing is once you collect 15 stamps, you earn a free annual pass. I already have a park pass for this year, and decided since I haven't been paying for my visits I'll make up for it by promoting the parks on Twitter and Facebook and to anyone I meet along the way. NevadaWolf = unofficial roaming Nevada Tourism supporter.

GOAL: Meet up with @fishdip in Phoenix and head out to a road he recommended; The Devil's Highway, formerly Route 666, in eastern Arizona. Reportedly one of the, if not THE, twistiest road in the nation. How can you resist that temptation?

GOAL: This year is also the biennial Iron Butt Rally, officially starting on June 29th. As I now know many of the Riders I wanted to be there to support and cheer on my friends as they took off on the Olympics of the long distance riding world; 11 days, 11,000 miles.

GOAL: Since I'll be in New Mexico anyway for the IBR start, why not continue to add to my collection of In State Saddlesore pins? I already have Nevada, California, and Utah, plus planning on an Oregon one for the solstice ride. That'll leave Arizona, Idaho, and Washington to "complete" the West Coast.

GOAL: Ride the Pacific Coast Highway from somewhere just south of San Francisco (so I can ride the Golden Gate Bridge) to the Redwoods National Park since I've never been to either of those highly scenic places.

Ambitious? Totally, but I have two weeks and a Ninjette that loves to eat up miles faster than I can feed them to her.

In the end, just over 6200 miles were put on the bike. I had some issues, the biggest of which was a snapped clutch cable, but had a fantastic time seeing a lot of places I'd never been, meeting several Ninjetters and fellow LD riders, and reaching most of my goals for the vacation.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.