View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:34 AM   #31
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I'm torn about this. First of all I don't see the point with raising the fuelling on a 300 Ninja, especially since the "Kleen Air" system is already doing this, and quite a lot too, from what I read it is adding around 10% (beyond lambda 1.0). If I want a bike that makes more power and takes more fuel, I can buy one.

I also have deep respect for CARB and EPA. You would have thought that the EU authorities were on their toes after EPA had exposed the cycle beating (european) truck manufacturers some 10 years ago but no, it had to be US authorities that caught VW doing the same thing, and had been doing it for years.

What I don't like is the hippocracy in this area. This thread suggests that it might be some kind of criminal offense to tamper with the engine control, even if you would do so to disable the Kleen Air and reduce fuel consumption. In EU it's even worse, formally you can't change anything on a vehicle at all. Manufacturers are of course delighted by this development, sending out all sorts of messages including that it will kill the kittens, lead to instant death and nuclear war if you change your rear view mirror. Which doesn't prevent them from selling power kits and upgrades to consumers themselves. Even Volvo is doing this now.

So back to the criminal offense again, does anyone think that the responsible people will go to jail for installing cycle beating software on 11 million cars? And what about all other vehicles, I don't think I know any model that hadn't got the ECM software adjusted shortly after the launch, to correct some issues with take offs or starting. Meaning more fuel is added. And that includes the Ninja 300, incidently. (Mine is still on the original SW, runs fine.)

Not to mention all the hundreds or thousands of test cars that a typical car manufacturer can have on the road, under some kind of deviation approval, with all kinds of modifications. You would be amazed if you knew.

Just saying. This legal area and its enforcement is not balanced.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote