View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #14
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
next winter, just try to run the bike for 5~10 minutes maybe once a week or so. that seems to help move the fuel through the carbs, and top up the charge on the battery i think.

at least i have the impression that it helps when the bike isn't in use for 1month or longer...

i
Not good advice.
If you put Stabil in the gas tank, you then run the engine 5 min to distribute it through the fuel system, turn it off, leave it off 'till spring. Do not start it and run it for 5-10 min once a week. You fully charge the battery on a 2 amp charger, charge it maybe once a month or leave it on a Battery Tender (not the same as a charger), and don't restart it 'till you're ready to go in the spring. You are going to discharge the battery more in starting the bike than you recharge it sitting at idle for 5 min.The gas tank should be full when you store the bike to make the air space in the tank as small as possible to eliminate condensation and moisture or water from getting into the fuel.

Draining the carbs is unnecessary with Stabil in the fuel and it's worse to have seals and rubber parts drying out and having moisture condense in the carbs.
Change the oil before you lay it up, not leaving dirty acid oil sitting in the engine over the winter.

Put the choke to max, run the starter in short bursts of 5-10 sec at most rather than leaving it on, and it may take a few minutes, but the bike should start. Draining the bowls will not accomplish anything and the bike will still take a while to start as the bowls have to fill up again.

Ride around and use up the gas with the Stabil in it, no need to empty and drain the tank. After that, every 4-6 tankfills, use Seafoam or Berryman's B12 in the recommended dose (1 oz/gal fuel) in the gas to keep the carbs clean. Don't screw with something if it ain't broke - you will make it worse. These bikes are very reliable and most problems come from people messing with them, thinking they are doing something good, but most times is totally unnecessary.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote