View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Yeah sounds very ambiguous as a symptom for a valve job?
The spark plug thing is weird also!

It could e something as innocuous as dirt got stirred up in the tank or a fuel line got pitched when the tank was removed and put back on.

Started ran off the float bowls and died out.

But I don't know anything that would cause those symptoms from a valve clearance job.
A loose spark plug- low compression on one cylinder and then it opened up and stopped running ?

It's hard- you have to find ways to check their work.

Sometimes they will charge for work not completed, or not replace all the parts

Example - my friend is a mechanic and Someone dropped off a truck with 16 spark plugs. My friend replaced 8 and told the customer it was ready. The customer brought it back and had to show him where to find the second set of spark plugs in the heads- 2per cyl

Another friend took a bike in to get valves shimmed. Drew a blue paint stripe on everything that should be removed for servicing or replaced.

They took it all apart but reused the valve cover gasket. I guess he wanted that replaced w the service.

Most shops try to do good work and treat a customer right.
Most customers are not very discerning- so mechanics and shops tend to get a little laid back or sloppy w the details.

Also if you have a bike they dont work on often (old, rare or modified) it is best to talk to the shop supervisor and address any special concerns

Good luck- let us know how the unfolds
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote