View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I dunno why people act like you can't remove the leads from the bulb socket/reflector/collector.

Assuming that you are replacing it with an identical OEM part, here are the steps:
Unscrew and remove the lens
Lift the collector out of the plastic shroud
Disconnect the blade terminals from the back of the collector/socket
Remove the housing (the collector is what held the housing to the stalk)
Bend the connectors to straighten them (you may not have to do this if you aren't replacing the stalk)
Unscrew the stalk
Thread the wires and straightened terminals through the stalk
Thread them back through the new stalk
Place the new housing on the stalk with the wires threaded through
Bend the connectors to angle them again
Attach blade connectors to the new collector/socket (slightly longer green wire goes to the outer terminal but polarity doesn't really matter)
Transfer the bulb from the old socket*
Align the lens and screw it down

You're done. The only other thing to mind is that the left and right blinker housings are different in that they both have a drainage hole that should face down. It is only the housings, so everything else is interchangable. You can use a right-rear housing on the front-left or a left-rear housing on the front-right and the holes will face down.

*This can be more difficult than it looks. You are supposed to push down and turn counter/anti-clockwise and lift but one of mine could not turn due to excess plastic

I should mention that one of my rear signal stalks would not come out gracefully recently. The plate it threads into would just spin and tear at the sleeve covering the wires behind it. This isn't an issue if you are reusing your stalks.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote