View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:00 AM   #70
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I will let you buy me a beer.
If I am wrong viceversa.
2015 Zero 185 miles
2014 158 miles
2013 137 miles
2012 112 miles
2011 58 miles
2010 50 miles
At best this is wildly optimistic, at worst it's misleading. Battery tech hasn't gotten better by 370% in 5 years (50 ---> 185). The increased range is due to putting larger batteries on, and better control software to use its power more efficiently when running at very low loads. If one rides it on the highway for any distance, the range is nowhere near that top number. It would be analogous to saying that our Ninja 300's have 400 mile range (as long as you ride them at 38 mph with a tailwind for the entire tank).

Tesla is spending more than anyone else on the market in improving battery capacity and cost/capacity, and they've achieved a 60% capacity improvement since 2008. (source)

It's why everyone continues to talk about a battery breakthrough being necessary, as incremental improvements won't match the cost/capability of ICE engines for many decades. My primary car is mainly propelled by an electric motor, but the reason that it's cost-effective and performs well is because it has an ICE engine to provide the electricity, as well as a comparatively small battery to store some over time. Love the torque of an electric motor, but carrying 120 pounds of gas to take the car 800 miles is always going to win out for me over carrying 1200 pounds of batteries to take it 250 miles.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.