adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I love questions that force me to think!
The question here could be an issue of semantics...the definition of countersteering itself. David Hough in Proficient Motorcycling described countersteering as "turns are initiated by [B]momentarily[B] steering the front wheel opposite to the direction of lean....Because the handlebars are initially turned opposite,or counter, to the direction of lean, this is called countersteering."
I'm saying at max lean yes, I push on the bar until my bike is pointed right where I want it to go. If I need to tighten up past that point, I typically lower my body position or move further off the bike slowly and smoothly to hook the bike into the turn a little tighter rather than pushing harder on the bars. Now, if not at max lean and I need to tighten up (my typical street riding style), yes, I would countersteer again in the turn to lean the bike further. I think the best technique is to use good throttle control and find your delayed apex line which would complete the corner in one solid steering input rather than countersteering multiple times, but we all know we don't nail every single corner perfectly every time.

I agree with you. To come out of the turn/lean, you'd countersteer the other way by pushing on the opposite bar (or pulling on the downward bar).
Cool cool cool. Now, let's go back to the @Misti question that kicked this whole thing off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Yes absolutely, you roll on the gas asap once the bike is turned but what do you do with the pressure on the handlebars? Do you continue pressing on the bar throughout the entire turn or do you counter-steer into the turn and then STOP pressing the bar and then roll on the gas?

M

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote