View Single Post
Old September 21st, 2022, 06:12 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wait. EX300 and EX250L/M clones?! 2022 Zongshen GTX 250

My former roommate just asked me about this:

I didn’t see the title and gushed about the Ninja 300’s virtues as he paged through the photos… then I noticed dual-disc brakes, “250EFI” graphics, and a slightly different blinker design. This bike is a straight-up clone!

This explains why there are so many replica parts for the EX300A/B and EX250L/M on eBay and AliExpress. I see everything from headlights, mirrors, signals, fairings, seat cowls, rearsets, handlebars, gauge clusters, etc. I know the UniTrak swingarm is an off the shelf product but these guys even replicated the wheels and frame.

Is Kawasaki doing something similar to Honda’s authorized Jialing/Dongfeng clones? These are definitely in the US market and supposedly registrable/legal. A bit of Googling landed me on another brand:
X-PRO Roadster 250 Electronic Fuel Injection Street Motorcycle
No mention of “Zongshen” but it’s the same clone. I love how they attach a made-up value to a 3 month parts warranty and the title/registration documents.

I haven’t seen replica tanks but I have seen ABS “tank covers” so maybe they used one of those to adapt something more generic. I wonder if the front suspension parts are good enough for someone wanting to upgrade to dual-disc front brakes. I’m almost tempted to buy one and swap the whole swingarm (with wheel/brakes), triple (with wheel/brakes), frame caps, sprocket cover, and footrests onto an EX250F (‘88-‘07). If they bolt on, and they should, then that’s a lot of useful parts!

The Wikipedia page for the Zongshen GS250 doesn’t seem to have been updated to reflect any current models but it’s really closer to an EX250L/M clone.

Edit: The FB listing seems to get the model wrong. This is what Zongsheng calls their “GTX 250.”

Last futzed with by CZroe; September 22nd, 2022 at 09:53 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote