View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2022, 11:05 AM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yah ! they started making the seats out of concrete a long way back ! I remember back in the 1970's taking a long bread knife to more than one of my bike seats ! then and only then could I ride it all day ! the foam they use is super dense and needs a softer layer over it so I cut a good 2" off the seat and added a inch layer of soft open cell foam to it and then recovered it... lowered the seat and made it softer in one move ! HAHAHAHA ! it made that old Honda 305 so much better riding ! it also had springs under it and I rearranged them
to allow the seat to bow a bit.... that was the cat's Meow I tell ya !
now with the RX4 it has a 2" sheet of hard foam and a 1/4" thin sheet of soft
foam over that and there is NO ROOM to cut it down at all... alot like the Ninja seat.... you just can't do anything to them ! the triumph's seat is a metal pan
so there's no give but it is a comfy seat to begin with, so it's not a problem.
But that ninja seat is a wide kotex on there and that is supposed to be a seat !
it boggles the mind ! I guess it's so fast your not supposed to be on it long ! HAHAHAHAH !
Dirt bike seats are an after thought most of the time... I guess your supposed to be standing up all the time on these modern ones ! the ones on the KTM's or Honda's are just plane silly ! I like the old style !
34" seat height on the Honda 450 is laughable for me I would have to dismount when I stopped ! when I had my 86' XR650L Honda I road it a few times to see if I could do it and I gave up trying ....I made a new lower link for it and lowered it about 4" and then it was fine ! ya don't need 12" of ground clearance ! 8" is all ya need really.... heck I've done real good with only 3" of ground clearance at times...but you do use the crash pan when their that low ! HEHEHE !
I remember riding the XR650L up on backbone road by shasta lake one time
I was enjoying the ride and came to the top of a hill and decided to stop and take a brake and promptly fell over ! that was when I said enough is enough !..... and lowered it !
that bike reminded me of my Honda 90cc it putted real nicely but it just had alot more putt ! burry the throttle and it would go but not enough to wheelie
or anything like that, and I expected for it being a 650 it would, but nope it was a real docile machine !.... and it would barely do 70mph ! it was a strange machine.... but I expect the DR650 is alot like that ! but they can be fixed to really haul butt but you gott'a know the tricks ! I do on the DR650
heheheheh ! i didn't have the XR650L long enough to do any mods.... it melted when the house burned down.... along with 14 other bikes !
it's like "Ah well, ya win some and ya loose some !" but that really hurt !
.....lost 50 years of accumulation that day and no insurance....
I have insurance now though !
let that be a lesson to ya ! get insurance on your house and possessions !
don't be like I was and say "I can't afford it".... you can't afford not to !
Later !
Bob.......

I like the idea of turning the Ninja into a dirt bike ! HAHAHAHAHA !