View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 10:43 AM   #13
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Oh, puhleeeze. Everybody knows that blue is the fastest color.

Enjoy that ride... what's your moto history? Have you had little bikes in the past?
Thanks! Red is definitely faster, just not in the turns.

You asked about history...

Started in '80 on CB-160 and the parents nearly threw me out of the house for it. It's been downhill ever since. Since then I've had everything from 50cc machines to an 800cc VFR. An '89 beater Ninja I had (in '98) turned out to be a great machine, so I've favored them ever since. I'm currently riding a buddy's '06 (red) 250 as a loaner until mine is finished. His has over 107,000 miles on it. I blame good maintenance and Castrol GTX for that.

There have been very few bikes that I could ride to their limit (at the track!) without huge risk, and they were all 250cc or less.

I raced minis (XRs, YSRs, and NSRs) for about five years as a research project for a rider's clinic that I run. (I used to poach Benny Solis before he got so darn fast!) The track taught me a lot. Mainly that I could learn to suck a lot less as a rider. Being passed constantly by a ten-year-old Tommy Aquino kinda put things into perspective.

I like the economy of the 250 as well as how it handles. Kawi did a great job with their update. I'm planning to use the new ride as a training, gymkhana, commuting, sport riding, and track day machine. I hurt too darn much from track crashes to go back to racing.

I'm seeing a lot of riding wisdom offered here on the board. Liking that. Really happy to see that "some guy in his mom's basement in the midwest" hasn't made a name offering bad advice here.

Ride on,

J~
snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote