View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2019, 05:44 PM   #14
Theorist
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2005 250

Wow. If only it were easy to part out a vehicle I think I've just found my calling or at least a profitable business.

I've often been impressed at how expensive replacement parts are even for a vehicle that's still being produced. A professor told us that one old study found that the sum of the parts of many cars are over 800% of the price of that car. A package deal brings the buyer a huge discount as well as free assembly, painting, finishing, and warranty. Another possibility is the parts are horibly overpriced. The third and most likely is that it's harder to sell hundreds of parts separately than one vehicle, raising the distribution and retail prices. With internet sales lowering these costs somewhat, parts sales may be more profitable until the parts process fall further.

With car parts I've often been astounded by the differences in sellers asking prices and how many salvage yards crush many parts for which some buyers are paying high prices.

I've sometimes suggested buying an entire vehicle on copart or such when one needs lots of replacement parts for one vehicle. It seems that there's some economies of scale in specializing in one or a few vehicles, buying many old n old ones, swapping parts till one has m<n good bikes to sell, some left over probably good parts, and some scrap and trash. One could them decide whether to continue. There is some money in it as well as lots of mechanical and restoration work, as well as lots of diagnostic, picking, purchasing, and sales work. Behind it. It could be difficult as someone doing this for a living to compete with others who enjoy it and are happy to do it as a hobby with little reward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Theorist is offline   Reply With Quote