View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2020, 12:58 AM   #4
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Depending upon how smooth you are, those settings should be fine.

Sag is determined by spring-rate & preload. Those don't wear out on shock. It's rare, but if you're an abusive rider that frequently bottoms out shock and coil-binds spring, there may be possibility it's weakened, but mostly in preload; rate should stay constant.

It's damper that wears out inside shock. Seals and valving wears out over time, leading to insufficient velocity damping. But those won't affect sag. Some mid-range shocks use nitrogen pressure to supplement spring and worn seals may cause those to leak and change sag. However, that's over time and you can always re-adjust sag to compensate for wear on those types of shocks.

So your sag should be OK for now. It should also be a function of stroke-length/operating-range of shock as well and that will vary with spring-rate. Proper way to adjust ride-height is to adjust shock-length, independently from sag or spring-rate. Can be done with adjustable clevis. This is preferred over changing dog-bones as that changes leverage-ratio and changes effective spring & damping rates at wheel.

Don't focus too much on equipment at track, best value is getting more time on track itself for practice. Spend money on buying trackdays and coaching sessions. Looking forward to seeing you out there!
Awesome man, thanks for the info! In that case, is it worth it to add a GSXR shock or just go to the track with my stock rear shock? I originally thought it would be a cheap upgrade to the rear to spring the shock for my weight, but now I'm questioning whether I'll actually appreciate the upgrade.

Sidenote: I'm 180lbs without gear.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote