View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #82
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfauerba View Post
Have not crashed/dropped mine YET. Took MSF class 11/08 (never sat on a motorcycle before that), Got my 09 and my license same month. Got 8,200 under my belt so far. Had 4 close calls all within the first 8 months:
1. souped up old Honda pulled out in front of me, first and only time I locked the front brakes
2. turn bike around in parking lot at less than 1 MPH and grab the front break on full locked turn. I almost was not strong enough to stop it from falling
3. I was on a city road, past a old guy on the left while I was in the left turn lane, as I was slowing to make a left, he pulls up with his drivers door next to me and then merged into my lane. Luckily nobody was coming the other way.
4. exit ramp with to ramps come down to two lanes with a V just before they merged followed another car (target fixation) off into the V doing about 10MPH which was very bumpy and grab my break. Weaved a lot but kept it up.

Remember there are two kinds of riders, ones that have dropped/crashed, and ones that have not dropped/crash YET.
You keep driving like that you will drop it eventually, but I don't think everybody rides like that so the yet doesn't apply to them, just you

2. did they teach you that in the MSF, when turning slowly grab a bunch of front brake? Or did they teach you not to do that?
3. shows poor planning, apart from being illegal where I'm from, common sense should tell you if your exiting a road left or right you don't expect to be overtaken on the side your exiting too. As a motorcyclist you should know not to overtake people or sit in their blind spot in such situations
4. yet more poor planning, not looking far enough ahead to read the road. I mean its pretty hard to drive of the road if your looking more than a few feet in front of your front wheel. If you can't see for some reason you should be backing of from whatever is obstructing your view (2 second rule?)

1. after seeing 3 and 4, this could have been the same, not anticipating a junction, therefore not anticipating traffic exiting the junction. But lets forget this one and worry about 2,3,4 before you have another close call.