View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2022, 02:21 AM   #1
eltel
ninjette.org member

Name: Tev

Motorcycle(s): 2004 E250

Idle not stable - carb issues?

My 2004 starts easily and runs well at speed and at normal temperature but it does have an idling problem. It starts on choke and if you leave it to warm up will eventually idle at 1200-1300 RPM which seems fine. Take the choke off too early and it dies quickly. I thought it needed a little too much choke to keep running as it was 86F outside but maybe that’s this bikes character?

The issue is you drive off down the road and at the next junction the tick over is now 4000RPM for the rest of the ride. You can bring it down with the idle adjuster but that doesn’t feel intuitive as it was idling fine at initial start-up.

Tank is clean and the fuel flow is good on this bike, you can pin the throttle and it doesn’t falter. I suspect blocked or partially blocked pilot circuit in the carbs or loose rubbers leaking air. Before I go down that route, I will check the valve clearances too.

My question is: are there any common traits or known issues with these carbs? Is there anything I should pay particular attention too? I’m happy stripping and cleaning carbs, the bank of four on my Daytona 1200 went through a period of driving me nuts until I found two blocked choke circuits that had frustrated me for months.
eltel is offline   Reply With Quote