View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:24 AM   #26
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Hey @InvisiBill what's your take on the different weights for each fork?
*shrug* I don't know that much about this stuff.

It seems like having different oil in the two separate forks which are supposed to work in unison could cause issues, since each side would want to behave slightly differently. It just seems like one side would want to compress faster than the other or something, resulting in the axle not wanting to stay perpendicular. I think that's the sort of thing you were getting at.

But if the hard parts provide enough rigidity to keep everything properly aligned, then you might be able to use different oils in each fork and use the slightly different behavior to tweak one for compression and one for rebound or something. But every situation I can think of with my understanding of our simple damper rod forks, you could achieve the same thing by tweaking the flow circuits, which would allow you to run the same oil on both sides and avoid the possibility of imbalances. Perhaps for testing to figure out the best feel before modifying the circuits?

P.S. The non-symmetry would eat away at my OCD brain.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote