View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:31 AM   #27
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

So interesting thought on the fork oil discussion, you can put different weight oil in each leg and you can put different spring rates in each leg as well. You have have one leg do all the springing and one leg do all the dampening. You can also split rebound and compression duties on legs as well. The two legs in the broad scheme of things act as one system due to the rigid mounting between the two.

On that note however I was just thinking about the different weight oil setup in the forks and wonder if there may actually be an advantage/disadvantage to doing that verses a blend in both legs.

Fixed orifice fluid dampening like in the ninjette is a factor of surface area of the orifices and the viscosity of the fluid in relationship to velocity of the fluid movement. As the fluid velocity doubles the dampening force increases four times, it is a squared relationship.

The volume displacement of the fork stroke will be the same for both legs as will the stroke velocity of the fork. So lets assume that A = dampening force of leg 1 and B = dampening force of leg 2. And X = dampening force at fork stroke velocity.

So at Y, X = A + B and at 2Y, X = A^2 + B^2

For giggles lets assume that fork oil in A and B are the same and for that fork oil at Y velocity the you get 2 units of force from fluid in each leg. So at Y, you get X=4 and at 2Y, X=8.

Now lets assume that fork oil in A at Y provides the result of X=2 and at Y the oil in B X=4. So at Y, X=2+4=6 and 2Y, X=2*2+4*4=20

Now lets assume that you mix A and B oil so you get C and its halfway between so at Y, C oil provides X=3 from each leg

now at Y, X=3+3=6 and 2Y, X=3*3+3*3=18

So actually after InvisiBill pointed my error, there is a difference at high speed displacement dampening from going with a different weight in each leg vs a mix. In this case a 10% increase at double the stroke velocity.

And I think I also better point out that the difference in high velocity dampening will diverge even greater the more different the viscosity is between the two fluids. When one had twice the resistance we got a 10% increase in dampening vs mixing. If you went four times, the difference at 2Y would be nearly 27%. At Y X=2+8=10, at 2Y X=2^2+8^2=68; mixed at Y X=5+5=10; 2Y X=5^2+5^2=50.

Last futzed with by sharky nrk; April 1st, 2015 at 12:18 PM.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote