View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2022, 03:27 PM   #22
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

Yes I think you are right, the bearings weren't the problem. Most likely they weren't greased well from new and nobody ever takes the time for this kind of maintenance lol. This happens to me every time I buy a used bike. Yet when I sell a bike, the new owner gets lucky I guess because maintenance is up to date and the bike comes with a service manual!
I think I will do the bearings, at this point I've got everything off the bike except the forks and triples. At least take a look in there and re-grease. Even though I can't feel any slop by pulling on the fork bottoms, there is a slight clunking happening when I hold the front brake and rock the bike forward and back.
Thats another thing that I noticed! The wheel spacer isn't tight in between the bearings. When I stuck my finger in there to turn the bearings I could hear and feel it clanking around. That may be why they failed quickly as well since there is space for the inner races to get mushed sideways when I tighten the axle down.
I'll figure out the steering bearings in the morning and then run to the local bearing shop for a couple of new, quality 6202 bearings.
Did you use the bottom dust seal when you swapped the bottom bearing?
What is the procedure for tightening the lock nut with tapered bearings, is it the same as in the manual or a different process? Thanks again!
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote