Thread: Fork Brace
View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM   #55
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Not trying to knock your experience or your ability to machine. I was asking in terms of performance what it did for you as I don't see any of your comments other than "works a treat". Also, when installing the brace were any other suspension mods done at the same time? That is important to know.
Believe it or not, one way that suspension works while leaned over is through flexing to provide bump compliance. This is because the sliders don't move as well when hitting a bump while leaned over and on the edge of the tire.
Some flexibility in the forks also provides good feedback or "feel". A fork can be too rigid and can give you the uncomfortable feeling that you are on the razor's edge but not really able to tell for sure what is going on with the front. So in that respect the "flexiness" of the Ninjette front end is not all bad because it has pretty good feel.

If you want to improve the performance of the front end on the 250/300 Ninja, the best place to start IMHO is correct springs for your weight, cartridge emulators and the correct oil. I did this on my racebike and I haven't had to touch a thing on the front end for two straight seasons.
We experienced this when we added a fork brace to our Ninja 500 race bike back-in-the-day.

It made the front feel more vague at the limit and chatter where it didn't before. We took it off.

That's one reason I questioned another member that was installing late-model inverted forks on the Ninja 250. The entire suspension and frame design on these bikes are not that rigid, and all flex together. Making one area more rigid can adversely affect the overall feel of the entire unit.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote