View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2021, 07:12 PM   #1
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Shut down on me. ( on freeway )

A few days ago.....Traveling about 85 mph on freeway. Riding in 6th gear. After passing a car, gave a liitle bit more gas to clear the distance between us, to move into lane, of car I passed. There was 0 acceleration. Nothing. There was no extra power on tap, but I wasn't losing any either. ( yet )

After about a mile, then it started losing steam. I pulled over. Overheat light went turned ON AFTER i came to a stop/idle. ( work was about 1/2 mile away, so I limped it on in. ( btw, temp light turned OFF after I started rolling started moving. )litteraly within 10 feet of moving.)

Died on me, at the entrance to my work. Had to push it about 1/4mile to parking garage ( that sucked.) At lunch, did some quick checking.

Fluids full. ( Oil, and coolant.) No appearance of leaks

Now that I have free time. Im going through the bike..here is what I have done so far.

Drained oil, removed filter: to check for broken bits. Silky smooth, and no particulates/grainy/chunks to be found.

Coolant : removal of radiator cap, shows full fluid. ( just below the return line to reservoir) resevoir is empty though! ( I just replaced this a few months ago!)

Spark plugs: dry, darker, but no ash/soot, damage/chunks.or oily/wet.

Cylinders: no appearance of damage. Very clean. ( dont have compression tester with me at the moment...forgiot it! DOH!)

MY INITIAL THOUGHTS.

I did valve/shims, approx 2000 miles ago. Possible cam bolts or something.... loosened up?

Thermostat/switch faulty..

Have a slow coolant leak somewhere, bubbles/pockets getting in radiator, and now have no circulation. ( as stated before, the prior resevior was leaking. Had it replaced. And that was a few months ago. With no issues, since/after replacement.)

Thoughts/ additional things to check?
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote