View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2019, 10:20 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
California Superbike Level 4

Something I’ve said to more than a few people is that “this is where things really get started.” Most of the complaints I’ve heard from students/prospective students are complete non-issues in Level 4. In a sense, while you will virtually always will get a benefit from levels 1-3, after a few level 4s you’ll start to see those levels more as prerequisites so that you can discuss riding with a common language and understanding of technique with the staff.

In level 4, you move away from the classroom lecture into a consultant style format. Just like before, your coach will follow and lead, but then in the debrief you will discuss the biggest issue to address and the coach will write notes usually mentioning things going particularly well, problems observed, and a suggested drill.

These notes go to your consultant, who then goes over it in more depth with you one-on-one. They make sure the problem observed is correct (are you actually having the vision problem your coach suspects or are you unsure of your turn point which is causing your visuals to be disrupted?) and then assigning a drill. The school’s set of Level 4 drills is notably large and grows every year – and sometimes your consultant will invent a new one for you (especially if your consultant is Keith Code), which I’ve had happen quite a few times now. This drill is then delivered to your coach and you go out and practice.

Level 4 is, in my opinion, the best riding program out there. It has consistently given me not only huge gains, but helped me refine my ability to diagnose my riding during track days. While it requires a bit of investment in time and money to gain access to, I absolutely adore it.