View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #167
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Quote:

282cc... mmm...mmm...mm... anyone know if that is possible to bore up with the original sleeve? or does it need a totally new/replaced piston sleve thinggy? lol, forgot what its called

back to square one, research time, yey!
Well I'm new on here, but have had a ZZR250 (same engine as old Ninja 250 up to 2006) for a few years with some serious chassis upgrades, done I decided it need more performance. After a bit of internet searching I settled on a 282cc big bore, so just picked up my spare cylinder after re-sleeve & big bore to 66mm.

To achieve this I used a second hand Kawasaki ZZR600 cylinder block, removed 2 liners & had them retro fittied to the 250 block, then bored to 66mm to take kawasaki ZX6R pistons.

I only picked this up this morning, so will be a while before I get round to rebuilding the engine. I'll throw some pictures up later.

So yes doable, but expensive as the block has to be machined, to accept the new liners, because the original 62mm ones can't be bored to 66mm, not enough material.

FYI the orginal liners are 62mm bore with 3mm wall thickness for 68mm OD. The ZZR600 press fit wet liners are 64mm bore with 3.5mm wall thickness, for 71mm OD. Now bored to 66mm so 2.5mm wall remaining. Those in the know say 2mm wall is the minimum thickness limit, so should be good.

The ZX6R piston weight is similar, need to weigh them & designed for a similar max RPM (14K in the ZZR250), so should also be good.

Last futzed with by Mohawk; February 20th, 2016 at 01:31 AM.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote