View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2020, 07:26 AM   #6
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhead birdhead View Post
I'll slip the clutch when it's buttoned up and see if the noise stops. It's more of a loud ticking noise than a knock. I'm a little vexed because I know these engines are loud as hell, but I don't know which loud as hell noises warrant further investigation. O WELL
I was also worrying about some of these noises but it looks like they are just there Use a screwdriver to pinpoint the source of the noise. Kind of put your ear to the handle and put the tip to different places on the engine.
I did the same and identified my ticking stuff coming from the valves , I did pull the cover last weekend to confirm my valves are all all in spec. And they were.

When setting the gap you are setting it on the lose end so that should tick more by definition when they are in spec rather than when they are out of spec on the tight side. As I understand you should start worrying when they do not tick at all - it means the valves walked their way into the head and closed the gap which means no ticking at all. Take it as my personal understanding which might be way off.

Also what I noticed the engine will sound weird and "tick" when your carbs are out of sync. That creates extra harmonics that sound "strange". Did you synchronize your carbs recently? I played with the synchronization and there is a sweet spot where the gauges show they are in sync and it sounds nice.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote