View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:41 AM   #21
PJocko
ninjette.org member

Name: Mine or the bikes? I think I've settled on Saeko. I'm James.

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R as a first bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Mulberry View Post
I suppose the other big ticket item (time more than price...) is a speedo/gauge cluster. I really just wanted to have a simple analog speedo like a HD Sportster...for the sheer simplicity and utilitarian look of things. But I see about a thousand options on ebay for multi-display speedo/tach/cluster options for $35-45 --small and functional and retains neutral light and turn indicators and bright indicator.
Im going to do more research but looking at something like this:

anyone used one or similar? Im not too worried about wiring it-- i can solder/splice OEM Ninja plug into correct wires on this cluster to plug right in
Welcome and kudos on returning to your old flame! I'm starting a roughly similar journey of my own on my new bike. I have/had vaguely similar ideas to what you're doing stylistically so it's great to see how it's working for you first lol.

Raising the forks to mount clip-ons above the triple tree..is that a large enough adjustment to affect the steering/suspension geometry? I'm staring down the barrel of a loaded similar problem and, until my clip-ons arrive, I'm trying to wrap my head around possible solutions. I wanted to avoid raising the forks but if it works on yours, who's to say? I wouldn't have to raise it very much with the amount that already sits above the stock handlebar mounting surface.

James

EDIT: Also, I was in the same boat r.e. eBay speedo's and gauge clusters. The ones that I could afford that read to 15K were... shall we say "not confidence-inspiring?" I ended up settling on a tach-only arrangement, the gauge face of which will be marked with range marking tape or paint to show what RPM in which gear will put me at 35MPH - the dominant speed limit in a lot of my home town. I can then extrapolate 25 or 45 mph visually on the tach and that will cover basically my entire riding area.

Last futzed with by PJocko; July 2nd, 2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Forgot relevant info!
PJocko is offline   Reply With Quote