View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's my understanding that the carb sync at high revs under significant load isn't nearly as important as at low revs. Not because you want your two pistons to be out of sync, but because at high revs / high load your throttle is almost all the way open, you're using the main jets in the carbs, and any differences between the two cylinders are going to a be very small factor compared to the power being produced by either.

When you're idling along with the smaller jets at very small throttle openings, that's when just a little difference is much more noticeable as vibration and a poorer running engine.
That was my understanding, too, which is why I checked the diff at idle and at 3k... with 3k being close to where you rev to take off. I've noticed that the meter will shift as the revs go up, so I have tried 1) splitting the difference, 2) leaving it equal at idle and 3) syncing it at 3k. For me, I have found leaving it synced at idle gave me a smoother running engine.

I'll check what Dave is asking and see what it is at higher revs. If I remember correctly, after a certain rpm level (5-6k), the meter did not keep changing and the sync diff reading read a constant offset to one side of center.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote