View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #22
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2016 HD Roadster, 2014 Custom RE Continental GT, 1987 Ninja 250R and several more

Guys,

I understand your positions on the matter. I had thought about it thoroughly, I promise. However, there are a few points that I'd like to iterate.

1) Somewhere, sometime there might be someone who would be willing to pay $4-5k for this bike. I would have taken it, but these kind of buyers are not queued up on a line somewhere. I was hoping to find that here, but my DM box is empty. Even weeks before I stripped the bike down, I got several super low offers elsewhere – $900 low. At that price, sure, I would have profited $600, had to look for a beat up bike and source parts for the build in far worse condition.
2) I think there is a major disparity in perception of what this bike will turn into. I'm building a track bike – you know, to be ridden on a racetrack. Not a cafe racer, not a bobber, not some godawful bondo from autozone creation. The bike is going to have to perform. Having an unabused engine and a frame that hasn't been dropped 20 times holds major appeal.
3) There is one more point about what I'm building. This bike due to be in the "Handbuilt Show" in Austin, TX in April. It boasts some of America's best bike builders at the moment. Starting with a clean canvas such as this bike also holds major appeal. No dents in the frame, no rusted hardware, clean and functioning electrical elements, etc – major appeal.
4) Furthermore, in using "so little" of the original bike, all of the body that is so "sought after" is available to anyone who may want it. Currently, all the pieces are on eBay with no watchers and no bids. Seems that the demand for these rare parts, as I found with the bike as a whole, isn't really there. I certainly understand the perceived value, but where the rubber hits the road, the dollars didn't show and I'm not a motorcycle museum curator. Fret not, the pieces are safe and will be available when the right owner comes along, offers a reasonable price and the prospect of a happy home.

I joined this forum to find help and resources when I will need it, to contribute a look into the process and journey that is building a nice motorcycle from the platform that you are all here for, and to offer what parts I can so that someone else from this community might also benefit from this project.

So without intending to sound like a dick, honestly, nobody put their money where their mouth was. Now it's time for me to put my money where mine is and build great bike. Let's keep this thread dedicated to that process. I promise it will be a treat. Thanks for your understanding in advance. Lots of photos on the way.

Chris
PrometheanLiver is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.