View Single Post
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I contacted a local company with this email:

Quote:
Hello. Earlier this year a generous soul shared some Solidworks files he made with members of a particular online forum (Kyle Chatham AKA KChatham of ninjette.org). They are for making a few parts that fit an extremely common motorcycle (1988-2007 Kawasaki Nina 250R). Though the cost is reportedly significantly lower than similar commercially manufactured parts, none of us have the ability to make them as we all lack access to a CNC milling machine and the software required to use these files. I live in Newnan (Coweta County) so I figured that you might be able to help me, but there may be a bigger opportunity.

Personally, I really want a few sets of his “lowered handlebar risers.” Many others have expressed interest in these as well as his “valve emulators” for the front suspension (lathe also required). I see that you offer POD (parts on demand), which I think would be a great option for interested forum members. Assuming that it can be made cheaply enough to still be desirable, as new users discover this openly available option, another POD part could be made and sold. I’m also interested in having a design modified to make a much more simple block-off plate instead of a handlebar mount. Is this something you could easily do with these files?

In case you are concerned with liability in case of accidents, these would not be complete parts and the people using them would be finishing them themselves, thereby transferring responsibility for the DIY job to themselves (tapping the holes and installing 7/8” OD handlebar tubing and bar ends for the risers, ordering springs and shims to assemble the valve emulators, etc). Also, you would simply be the executor of their wishes by manufacturing it on demand to the specifications provided by the customer.

If POD does require the re-occurring demand to come from the same buyer, I may be interested in being that contact. If a one-time production can be made cheaply enough, I’m still interested in getting a few made for myself.

The designer advised that four lowered risers can be made with 12" of 6061, but I don’t know if that’s four left/right sets or four total (two sets). Though the valve emulators are significantly smaller, they are more complicated with more operations. He said that 6061 is industry standard for aftermarket motorcycle parts, so I assume he used it for the valve emulators too, which he says cost him $30 after ordering the spring and shim from an over-priced manufacturer of suspension products. I don’t know if economies of scale allow you to match his costs or if you need to charge more to recoup your parts and labor, but there is still plenty of room to undercut manufactured products from the likes of RaceTech and Woodcraft. He gave the designs to the community, so there should be no issue with setting up a POD for us even if you are making a profit (you are charging for your services and not the parts). I would advise that keeping the cost low should still be a priority so that the community doesn’t shop around for other providers.

Personally, I don’t want to pay more than $60 for a set of handlebar risers or $50 for valve emulators, but I don’t know what other people are willing to pay and I’m not a racer (racers are more interested in valve emulators). I believe that most people would want to recoup their own costs by ordering extras and selling them as pre-made parts, considering how much higher the cost of manufactured products are (finishing and under-cutting by 33% should be easily possible).

Even if you are not interested in going further, please let me know. I can provide you with all the links and information. I look forward to working with you. Thanks!

-Julian Emmett Turner
I emphasized ordering multiples and extras so that they will keep the costs low (economies of scale). Also, the 20-year fitment should go a long way to emphasizing potential demand. I probably should have mentioned that they are commonly used as training/learner/beginner bikes and, thus, are often dropped and, thus, are in need of replacement handlebars more often than most bikes.

Hopefully, we can set up this "Parts on Demand" thing so that we can all contact them when we want one made.

Thanks again, Kyle. I want to order a few because I have a couple EX250F bikes and I want to experiment. Also, I think it would help me sell the suspension and frame I don't need from my parts bike.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote