View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I used to be a Grid Marshall for the S.C.C.A.. European auto races are run in the rain. Indy and Nascar pit the cars in a rain storm. I used to work at the Watkins Glen Grand Prix course and they had an amature race they called "The Fun One" run in October. They would race sometimes with snow falling.

Have seen three people die on dry tracks in my life I can not share your enthusiasm for racing in the rain. It make about as much sense to me as running red lights and stop signs.

Just my opinion.

Bill
It's a very understandable position, the way I see it the lower speeds involved in rain riding actually make for comparatively safer crashes than their dry counterparts. Every crash hurts and has the potential for loss of life. The safety also has a lot to do with the track layout, watkins glen isn't a particularly safe track. I've also seen several people go through some insane crashes where they didn't all make it, one of which happened about 40 feet in front of me during a beginner session at a track day. The risks in racing and riding are ever present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

How long did it take your leathers to dry out?

TTD tire guy:

"Rains are great.
You can accelerate as hard as you want.
Brake as hard as you want
Corner with your knee down.

But you can only do one of those things at a time."
That about sums up the rain tire approach. My leathers actually dried out quicker than I did, I used a suit fan to dry it. Hangdry makes the best one but my knock off version is still perfectly functional.