View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #19
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Yeah well. Advice may have been a little late.

Parts bike should be here wednesday. For a few hundred, the price was doable.

It hasn't run in about 2 years, and was up to 14k miles when parked. It sat in a covered parking garage for quite a while.. I also found a new set of fairings and was able to coordinate them onto the same shipping pallet as the bike with about 10 calls and 300 text messages.

Basically I've got everything I'll need to get some conglomeration of parts together from each bike and build a single unit. I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. I'll figure it out once I have both bikes sitting next to eachother.

The race cams should go into the finished machine but that's extra work if the donor engine is already running. However if I swap the cams and the cylinder head that I HAND PORTED, I wouldn't have to do the valves, and could retain the APE tensioner cam chain tensioner in the process.

I'll need a new intermediate section of exhaust pipe from area-p, because mine is mangled but the muffler and rest of the system is already heat-wrapped and usable. That would be a simple swap.

I'll also end up with a spare barrel/cylinder, which I could have bored if I saw fit. Wouldn't want to go 4mm oversize due to the cylinder wall thickness and potential of sleeve cracking. 2mm oversize could work.. but then I'd need pistons to the tune of 200. And I'm still looking for a 300 crank... where the hell am I going to find a 2012+ ninja 300 crankshaft?

Decisions decisions... I won't make any until I can stare at both bikes next to each other and have an epiphany. Hopefully that happens soon after the parts bike arrives because I don't have much space in the shop and have lots of other projects.

I guess my main decision is whether I'm going to re-build the 2002 CRV that I have in need of a head gasket, or build a bike out of all these parts. The CRV is more practical in terms of transportation, but the bike would be more psychologically satisfying.

My PCL remains 100% torn, and my right knee is more or less blown. It won't get any worse as long as I keep it in a brace but I'm not keen on surgery. Fixing these bikes is psychologically tied to my physical health in a strange way...

Anyways I'll try to take some pictures.

....and the street legal CR500AF sits and waits. Ho hum. Too much to do and no time for any of it.