Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM   #138
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

This is just an FYI for everyone. Recently, I purchased the following pitcher, which is normally used for mixing oil and gas in 2 stroke engines.

I wanted to use it for measuring the exact amount of oil used for my oil changes!

Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter. The manual says to use 1.7 qts, if the engine has been used, i.e. already had oil in it previously. The manual says to use 1.8 qts, if this is a dry engine, i.e. just being put into service. Well .1 (1/10) of a quart is 3.2 ounces. I decided to go with the 1.8 qts (57.6 ozs) just to find where this is on the glass sight gauge.

After removing the drain plug and the oil filter housing and allowing the engine to drain for about 20 minutes, while on the rear stand, I replaced the drain plug and new filter. Since the measuring pitcher will hold a maximum of 32 ounces, I added 32 ounces of Shell Rotella-T 5W-40W and another pitcher of 25.6 ounces (right at 5/8 past 24 ounces..each mark is 2 ounces). I then started the engine and let it idle for a few minutes, while checking for leaks around the drain plug and the oil filter housing.

What everyone has been waiting for...the bottom line! That is the answer, the sight glass shows the oil level EVEN with the bottom line, when the bike is held vertical!

Prior to going for a ride this afternoon, I added about 1.7 ounces and this brought the level to the middle of the sight glass. I did this so I don't have to put on my reading glasses, in order to see the bottom/top line. I can quickly see that the oil is roughly in the middle of the glass before each ride!

Last futzed with by g21-30; August 31st, 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Left out the word EVEN!!!!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote