View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #15
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Am I one of the few that uses the rear brake to trail brake also, depending on the situation? So many people and racers I know don't ever bother to use the rear brake.

The only time I touch the front brake lever is just before I need to use it.
Not to trail brake but I do use it to initially load the suspension particularly the front to begin to load the front tire for braking.

On the street; seldom is my front braking anywhere near 100% application pressure. On the track; I'm near 100% so the rear has little to do except for initial loading.

In the wet: things are pretty well the same except proportionally; the rear can provide a little more braking as it's not unloaded as much as in the dry.

As most readers are in the new or less than 5 year/50,000 mile category; the most important knowledge you need to absorb and apply subconsciously particularly in those moments of extreme stress or absentmindedness is to practice, practice, practice stopping to front wheel lockup & release.
It becomes instinctual and you will subconsciously feel when to release and reapply, release etc so even in the wet or Sandy surface, leaned over or whatever: you maintain both maximum braking force and minimum wheel lock.

Find that parking lot or empty street and practice applying the front brake. But walk before you can run! Don't try to lock it your first session or 3! Practice applying firmly then a quick release. The quick ease of release is the vital skill!
Eventually; you will lock the front and instantly release!
Enough of my babble. There's lots of video & reading with more comprehensive technique description. Get out there and practice! I still do it every time I ride.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.