View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #22
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
I use my rear break first, if i have enough time to stop its the only one i use lol
Using the rear brake only was (and still is) a fallacy perpetrated unintentionally primarily from the cruiser crowd. There is a small degree of truth in it only because of the crappy braking systems & geometry/frame design supplied to cruisers.

Careful examination of hundreds of accident scene photos involving motorcycles often reveals a long, straight, thick black line skid mark created by the motorcycle. That skid mark is often over 100 feet long. It is virtually impossible to leave a straight, thick skid mark created by a front tire. If your front brake is being applied at even 80% efficiency; it's unlikely a rear skid mark would be visible or at most: very faint. Additionally; over use of the rear brake if leaned over will cause you to skid the rear sideways and if the brake is released; it has a high probability of resulting in a high side which is something I hope you never have to experience.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.