View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2022, 11:05 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
So ah... what data have you collected that shows this???
Well, No data at all... just experience from the 70's on manufacturers have been trying very hard to lean out anything that has a internal combustion engine on it...we all know that. it got to a point in the early 1970's that I had a ford pinto that got 24MPG but it never ran right always staggering it would not run smoothly.... so I pulled the main jets in it's 2bbl carb and reamed out the main jets just a little made sure the accelerator pump was working correctly and put it back together the car ran like it was brand new after that my gas mileage went down to 22MPG but the motor ran smooth as glass.... it was worth it !
that was a 1973 ford Pinto just one example of the 50 or so examples I have
of "Everything runs too lean !" .... in most cases it doesn't hurt a thing to run as lean as they have them...i.e. nothing will melt in the engine.
but a good running engine needs more fuel than they give it !
I made an infinitely variable carburetor for a Old B&S 2hp motor and that engine would run from very rich to extremely lean with no problems there is a wide range of the running profile of the fuel ! but for performance the best bang for your buck is on the lean side so Hot-Rodders have been searching for the perfect ratio of fuel to air sense cars were invented.
Manufacturers say we set them perfect ! I do not believe them !
especially on my RX4.... "it even acts lean" through the entire RPM range
and A plug color check will confirm that.
WHY then are these motors being ran TOO LEAN ? well, EPA and other forces at play pressure the manufacturers to "tow the Mark" and do what we say or you can't sell your product here.
back in the 1950's if you ran a 455 c.i.d. v-8 that lean it would destroy the engine in my 36' bus the valves receeded up into the head they could not stand the heat of the new fuel or the new carb I put on it....and new heads cost more than it was worth ! so it went to the steel yard.
Leanness means HEAT .... too lean and you will melt stuff inside the engine
they are playing a very dangerous game of Really hot but not quite hot enough to melt...... to me that is silly it doesn't have to be THAT HOT ( or that lean) they walk a razors edge that's just not healthy for an engine !
especially when all you have to do is change the fuel to air ratio to one a few points richer. on the HUD ECU HACKER one of the files I ran showed a 14.6 Fuel to air ratio if you were to change that to 14.8 it would surely take away some of that intense heat !
I don't think I'ed go as far as changing it to 15.5 or something like that
but if that is what it takes to get a decent plug color check I may well do just that !
this bike runs so lean it can't even Idle correctly and for a single cylinder that is stupid
So No Danno I don't have any Data to back up my claims that "it's running too lean".... but I don't need Data to tell me that, i can feel it and hear it in the way that it runs ( that's easy on a single cylinder, not so easy on a Twin.)
and a plug color check never lies ! ( as long as the rings are good ) LOL

if I were God I'd command that all internal combustion engines of the 4 stroke ilk would run a tan sparkplug check. Not white but that is what we have forced upon us.

Bob......