View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2022, 07:38 AM   #52
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I'm back with somewhat related issues. My headlight is not working and I think there are a couple of possibilities as to why.
Hi and Lo went out at the same time, so I doubt the bulb is at fault. First things first I checked the fuse. It was good. Replaced w/ a new 10a to no avail. Pulled the bulb which looked good and tested good, and replaced to no avail. So that's done.
I checked voltage at the headlight plug with the engine running: no volts. Engine still running, checked at the hi/lo switch on the left hand control: no volts.
Here is where I get murky: it seems the headlight relay is built into the fusebox on these bikes. I am unsure how to diagnose this. I popped the back plate off the fuse block and checked for voltage moving through the headlight fuse and I don't seem to be getting power there, but I'm not sure I'm testing that properly. I need to understand how to properly test that.
So I have a couple of ideas. I was having an odd charging problem after I installed my new r/r and stator only to find it was caused by the 3-wire plug to the stator coming un-clicked from the unit itself (duh, that keeps happening to this bike!). Rectified that little issue, and now the battery doesn't die after a ride. Could the unplugged r/r have fried the headlight relay?
The other thing I'm thinking about is: how long has my headlight been out?? I don't really notice when it's not working as I only ride during the day, could it have been out since I installed the new r/r? The new unit only uses the three yellow, one black ground and one white hot, whereas the stock r/r used the third yel/red wire coming off the starter relay. Does that wire need power to activate the relay?? I've looked at wiring diagrams but I'm not an electrical guy... I can see it when it's explained but I second guess my own understanding.
I've been going through this old thread: https://forums.ninja250.org/posting....&t=88459&tro=1 which has gotten me started, but I'm not sure what to test next.

[IMG][/IMG]