View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2022, 09:05 AM   #55
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Yup, run a fork off one of the 3 yellow AC wires into the junction box to feed the relay. In the OEM wiring, there's a branch between the stator and R/R that goes to the junction box, as shown in Danno's pic. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/atta...9&d=1460932760 is a good colorized version of the diagram, where you can see the yellow wire forking off.

If you check continuity between the yellow wire at the j-box and the original yellow stator wires, you can figure out which of the three is the one that forks. You could then feed into that at the stator or R/R end, as opposed to running a new wire to the j-box.

This is how the headlight stays off until you start the bike. When you turn the engine over and it starts generating AC, it triggers the relay. The relay's output also feeds back into that (through the other diode), so it will keep itself triggered until you turn the key off. Note that this circuit is entirely to delay turning the headlight on. It's not the same as aftermarket headlight kits that use a relay to do a better job of feeding power to the bulb (since I've seen people get confused by this in the past).

The FH016 off some of the bigger Ninjas is nice in that it has pigtails coming out of it. You can chop off the OEM connectors and put whatever you want on it (as opposed to having to use Furukawa connectors), and it includes a 6th wire which is an output for the headlight relay, so you can feed that right back into the stock wiring harness even if you completely replace the stator-R/R wiring.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.