View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2022, 01:09 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
well get that gas out'a there today !!!!
re fill it with oil up to where the gas was and then leave it till your ready to tear it down...... then drain the oil.... the oil is just to stop any rust because the gas has etched the metal inside the engine you need oil back on it !
if it were me I'ed turn it over several times by hand anyway.... to see if it is frozen up as well as get oil on everything.... that's better than not turning it over....in my book but if it's stuck and won't turn, you can't do that but I would try real hard to brake it free !
I had a Honda 90 engine that set for decades and it was frozen up .... i used diesel, and all through the sparkplug hole and rotated the motor in every direction possible and then put a wrench on the flywheel and finally got it to move a very small amount, so I repeated the process 2 or 3 times and finally got it to turn all the way through......there was no doubt rust in the cylinder
but I got it to brake loose and after a few days of turning it through and flushing out the spark plug hole with diesel it started coming out fairly clean (an oil squirt can gun is perfect for this)
I put the engine in my bike another Honda 90 and swapped the carb and air cleaner and exhaust and with quick start I finally got it to fire up and run
....the more it ran the better it ran.... till it was a one kick start thing....
i ran that motor for about 6 months while I rebuilt the other one then swapped the good one back into the bike.... it was my main transportation back and forth to school and work so it had to be reliable !
....no that is not the proper way to do things but I was a young kid with no money and I needed it, so that shows you what can be done in a pinch !
mechanical things do not have to be perfect, it's better if they are, but they don't have to be !
Bob......
Thanks. Hopefully there’s enough daylight once I’m off work. Should I remove the spark plugs and lube it from the top before I turn it?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote