View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2022, 09:57 PM   #60
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
TLDR; You need to test with actual voltages experienced by equipment in field. Read why below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
I'm getting closer to a solution on this, but I'm just not there yet. Here is what it's doing:
All these voltages are read with the engine running.
I am reading 14v across the headlamp fuse, regardless of a jumper wire being placed between the stator and the one yellow wire going to the junction box.
Yes, let's take this in sequence

A. Power comes out of battery and goes across 30a main-fuse through wht wire to ignition-switch.

- Ignition-switch ON, sends power out brn wire switch to junction-box
- brn wire goes across headlight fuse 1st, that's why you're measuring 14v at headlight fuse. It's just sitting there waiting, not trying anything shifty...

Quote:
I am reading 0v coming off the blue/yellow wire coming out of the junction box with no jumper in place.
When I jump from a 12v source to the yellow r/r signal wire going into the junction box, it spins the starter motor. This seems to follow, given the wiring diagram.
B. Without headlight-relay activation, you'd have no power coming out of junction-box on blu/yel wire.

C. Applying 12v to yel wire @ junction-box will have power going through headlight-relay activation-coil and then through starter-solenoid activation-coil and running starter. Similar to if you held down start-button... Starter-solenoid activation-coil provides ground-path for power going through headlight-relay's activation coil. If power is going through 2-coils in series, how much is each coil actually getting?

Why doesn't headlight-relay activate? There's power going through it?

You're skipping ahead. Measure actual conditions in the wild so you can replicate in lab setting:

Quote:
2. measure for AC on this wire as part of stator tests: A-B, B-C, C-A
With engine running, measure AC volts across each pair of yellow stator wires:

A-B, volts = ???
B-C, volts = ???
C-A, volts = ???

These numbers will tell you everything you need to know to fix this.

If you've actually connected yellow stator wire to junction box, then headlight-relay may be 1st one we've seen fail. PM me address and I send you spare junction-box.

BTW - there needs to be bleed-resistor and capacitor on headlight-relay in junction-box...

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 31st, 2022 at 01:36 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote