View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2023, 05:12 PM   #44
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I found my Wrench ! it was in the pouch I took off so I could repair it....
shoe-goo to the rescue ! and I backed it up with a piece of shop rag ! LOL
I just came back a bit ago from a ride on that beast .... all I gott'a say is WOW ! that certainly is not like the XR650L I had years ago.... this thing goes !
had it up to 70mph but it was turning fairly tight with the 13T sprocket on the front.... so I backed it back to 65mph and just cruised along !
.... it acts like it is 150lbs on the highway a car goes by and the wind made me swerve !!!!! VERY TWITCHY !
of course that could be the bald knobby on the front doing most of that
( I have a Shinko 244 coming for it.) but when a 18 wheeler passes you going the other way you better be on your toes.... they can blow you all the way off the road if your not careful !!!
....I barried the throttle leaving the pavement after slowing to a crawl and the front wheel came up about 8" and away I went....shifted into 2nd and threw dirt all over till I let up !
I played around on the dirt road for a bit getting the feel of the old girl
and I have to admit that thing can haul butt !
.... I did notice that the rear brake was way too tight it didn't flex at all when hitting the rear brake.... so I loosened the thing up a bit when I got home
the front brake works REALLY WELL.... enough that you only need a single finger on it ! ...
the ride was supprisingly smooth.... it's got soft suspension the way I have it and I like that..... the front will most likely dive when I hit both brakes hard though so I'll have to adjust that I'm sure....
.... I went about 3~4 miles down the road to a dirt road of to the right that goes for a long way.... I didn't go far though I turned around about 1000' down it as there was target practice going on and a few other cars down there. there was a large dip and bump in the road so I blasted through it
so see how she handled it .... it was like are you really going to ride me ya dummy..... like she wanted more ! but I tried to explain "I'm not used to you yet O'l Girl.... "
handle bars are too low... I have to bend to stand on the pegs... that will not do !!! ....
I tried to put on the 2" handle bar rizers that I had bought for her but I got the wrong size..... turns out these are for 1" fat bars not 7/8" bars
the pins are too big to fit in the bar clamps...
I may try to center them on the 4 jaw chuck in the lathe and trim them down
myself but that will be after I get the Ninja running and out of the shop !
I pulled the sparkplug after it cooled down at home.... and unfortunately it is still a bit lean.... I need to whittle down the Main jet a bit more I think...
and I noticed a slight hesitation when grabbing a handful of throttle
it does it almost every time .... ....
I also tried to adjust the fuel air screw and it really had no effect....
I went in with it and it started slowing down and started back out and it gained a few RPM but not much and then would not go any faster... and it did not slow down again.....meaning it is too small RIGHT ?.
so I am thinking the pilot jet might be a tad small..... no surprise sense the stock main jet definitely is !
but it is burning a grey.... not white but grey and I want it darker than that ...as it is a air cooled machine and it needs the fuel to cool it down.
I did not dump the clutch to pop a wheelie because I know without doing that it will wheelie easily if I use the clutch.... I want it to wheelie at the twist of the throttle.... I got a small wheelie out of it a few times.... on the dirt though it just spins ! 5 speeds....kind'a a let down after the RX4's 6 speeds
but it is old school technology ! LOL
I think long trips on that bike would be brutal.... you'ed be fighting to keep it on the road in the wind....tires might help that, but tires can only do so much..... it's a relitively light bike and the wind will push you around on a light bike ! and.... yes I took out too much foam on the seat... it's hard as a rock actually....... hardly any cushion there at all !
but I can touch the GROUND !!!!
so for her maiden voyage I am quite pleased..... I want to get that pause out of the acceleration..... it shouldn't do that (if it was perfect)
not real sure where to start on that though.... I'll think on it a while
every bike I've ever owned had a pause like that under hard acceleration
so in that respect it's normal.... but I understand NOW it shouldn't do that !
LOL

Bob.......