View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #29
bob138
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosen11 View Post
Very unlikely to forget...but just shift your weight forward. If your weight is at the front even if you do WOT it might raise few inches but you will not weelie. Note that all the riders are almost in tuck in position from the standing start race to minimize the front raising up.
With my 99 gsxr750 I really had to wrack the throttle and slip the clutch to bring the front up. Then inline fours peak at high RPMs which I didn't really push the bike up to normally anyway. Tons of usable power at lower RPM range.

I doubt you will forget and wind the throttle too far. FI'd I4s have such crisp throttle response you get almost instant feedback. What will take getting used to, as someone else mentioned, is the handling. Bulkier. Cornering will take much more throttle control and different lines through turns. So take those slower to start. Are they gonna set up the suspension for you? That will help a lot with getting used to cornering it.

The other thing to be careful of is fooling around. I wound out 1st gear in a parking lot, then locked up the rear as I was going way to fast and ended up highsiding like superman into a curb. Thank god I had gear on. No bumps or bruises, besides my ego. Broke a brake pedal, and some scratches on fairings , slider and exhaust. I learned a low cost respect lesson though. Haven't messed around on a bike since.

The reason I moved away form the 750 was it's terrrible mileage, 37MPG was the best I got, so fill ups every 100 miles sucked. That and the seating position left a lot to be desired. Talk about back pain. But. That was a Suzuki. Never sat on a ZX6R so the ergos may be a lot better.

Anyway, sounds like this has been a long time coming for you. Enjoy!

Bob
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote