View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #112
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if they are priced the same, why do they even bother selling the 91?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanb View Post
Here the lowest octane available is 95.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Mine gets RON 95 the lowest available in Switzerland.

Steve
They don't bother in Ireland, the lowest I can find is 95, and the highest I can find is 95. (could get 98 a couple of years ago). All I need now is the ninja to put it into, so many bloody forms to fill in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
I'm suprised to see shell-canada in the top tier companies. I only use 91 in all my vehicle and had ****** gas mileage when i used shell once. Esso in canada is the gas that i will get the best mileage.
I used to use esso in my fuel injected cars and it was crap, then i switch to shell and it was better, then shell v-power and it was much smoother to drive and i got more distance out of a tank of v-power.

In the last couple of years, Shell sold out there retail stores and seem to want to just make the fuel to sell to the gas stations. I think quality is falling as the stations want cheaper product to sell (more margin for them).

On my current FI car, Shell 95 runs like dirt, Esso 95 runs like rocket fuel, so thats what i use now.

Anyway I have a question! about Carb Vs FI in relation to fuel
On my fuel injected cars, the car has an air mass sensor, a lambada(spelling?) and exhaust gas sensors. The ECU (engine control unit) of the car can apparently use all that data to slightly tune the fuel delivery based on the performance of the fuel as its running. So when I change from a tank of shell to esso, i get an immediate boost in performance until I've driven about 10 mins then the car tones it back down again. This is all the the name of less emmisions and longer engine life. Most small engine euro cars demand a minimum of 95 ron anyway. I believe a performance car with a small engine like the latest EVO demands 105 ron.

Does anyone know if the fuel injected 250 has similar smart engine management. 95 may be a requirement but i go up a level when i can just in case the engine run a bit hot from time to time. Sure its a couple more pennies at the pumps but it works out cheaper than if you engine runs a bit hot and starts knocking. At the time I could get 98 it was like €1.10 for a litre of 95 and €1.15 for a litre of 98 vpower. Over a 60 litre tank in my car that means it cost me €3 extra, but i reckon it was worth it for the extra mileage I got out of the tank.

I can see why its pointless to go up on a carb'd bike unless your going to tune it to the fuel. On an FI system (a smart one) it should pretty much tune itself (within some parameters). Obviously its going to keep the operating temperature the same at all costs.
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote