View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #161
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista350z View Post
I used a 10w40. I had a question though. I went to cyclegear to pick up oil and the employee told me not to used synthetic since my engine is still new (5k miles)? He said synthetic doesn't all the lubes needed for new moving parts? also if you go synthetic you cant go back?....Now, I dont care for not being able to go back to regular blend, but is it true not to used synthetic until you have a good amount of miles on the engine? The guy got me into getting a semi-synthetic which he said was better than regular blend but not synthetic. What do you guys recommend?
Here is a link to a thread you might want to read.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10346

The subject of oil and when to change it is just like engine break-in; a lot of opinions. I've found there are some basic rules you can follow on this forum and other areas of life.

1. Common sense rules.
2. Examine the source; do they have an "opinion on everything" but only have 50 posts and a brand new first time bike?
3. When it comes to safety there is only one right way.
4. When it comes to the maintenance, it all depends upon how you ride your bike and what you are looking for.
5. If it sounds too good to be true is usually is.

All that said most people will recommend you stay with conventional oil until you have the engine broken in (600-1000 miles). You need the piston rings and cylinder head to mate with each other and that take some "friction" to happen.

Just like in your cage if you have a lot of short rides or are wringing that little engine out to 12.5K a lot you should consider changing the oil and filter more frequently that if you are taking nice long rides and moderate RPMs.

Enjoy and ride safe.