View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2018, 07:45 PM   #6
superman2coo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: superman2coo

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki EL 250

Exclamation Waterpump seals and Headgasket

So I took out the engine of the bike and looked into the water pump assembly and found out one of the water pump seals came off out of the housing. So coolant was leaking out of the water pump into the oil pan through the impeller shaft.

Simple enough I put back the oil seal back into place and it fixed the coolant leaking into the oil pan problem.

But as I put back the engine together and refilled the coolant, another problem occurred and now coolant was leaking out of the head gasket on the exhaust side. So another problem to fix.... Now I have to take off the cams to get to the head gasket and am unsure of how to put it back together since you are messing with valve timing.

I found an image for timing for a 250 Ninja that is attached and hope it is the same with the EL250. At the moment the engine is not lined up as in the picture with cylinder 2 at TDC. So I'm assuming I have to put it in gear 1 and manually rotate the crankshaft that is connected to the rear wheels with the chain (i.e. rotate the rear wheel - engine is currently disconnected from bike so rotate with socket wrench?).
superman2coo is offline   Reply With Quote