View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2020, 04:43 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I just wanted to point out that the EX500 spring has more coils, so it's actually softer than the PreGen spring. The numbers I've seen are 300lb/in compared to 440lb/in.

I don't have the means to measure them precisely, but while I had the springs off, I used the fancy "stand on it and see how much it squishes" method. The EX500 spring is definitely much softer. This is supported by the SV650 shock (with a spring rate similar to the PreGen's) being a very noticeable upgrade that a number of EX500 riders have done.

It doesn't make sense for the heavier EX500 to have a softer spring, but a lot of Kaw's bikes have way-off spring rates. I've seen models with the front and rear sprung for 100lb and 300lb - not at all matched, and neither one near an average rider's weight. I've come to the conclusion that they don't put much thought into their budget bikes' spring rates (or just ignore those calculations when they pick which part they actually put into the bike).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.