Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:31 PM   #67
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Just so you know... if you were to get some really good training, they would tell you that railing your vision down in front of you is a form of an SR. ie Your vision and attention are focused on a fixed area.

The problem is rooted in your FOV while riding/driving. You're pretty much blind lol . I mean that in a generic sense. Don't think of that 100% literal, but to show you how much you're missing, try this drill.

Start with your computer monitor.
Look at the center of the monitor. If it helps, put your mouse in the center to give you something to focus on.
Now... without moving your eyes, change your attention to one of the corners of the screen and hold it.
Once you can do that, then repeat the drill but change your attention back and forth from the center to a corner. Again, no eye movement.
Once you can do that, then repeat the drill but change it by moving your attention to the 4 corners of the monitor. Again, no eye movement.
Work up to bigger areas that stretch your peripheral vision to the max. And the faster you can do this, the better.

Now go for a walk and check out the world you have been missing! That bug flying around, that squirrel in the yard, the mail man coming down the road. It was all there before, your field of attention was just too narrow to see it. Sadly, many people never reach this level.

Now when you get in your car, going slow and straight. Try the drill again, look at the road with the focus of your eyes, but let your peripheral vision catch the attention of objects; that car, that mailbox, that sign.

If you can get good at this, you will have a widescreen FOV. Thus allowing you to look farther ahead while still maintaining attention of what is going on directly/closer in front of you. It gets easier with practice and can become “somewhat” automatic with consistent practice. Figuring out how to do this has affected other areas of my life as well. For example; I am soooooooo much better at judging multiple sparing opponents in karate class.

And for completeness, there is a downside to having a wide field of attention. Information overload may happen. Just because you can see it, doesn't mean you have to act upon it. There is a reason they put blinders on race horses.

So lemme ask you some questions.
Can you feel comfortable looking farther ahead if you're going slower or is speed even a factor?
Is it where your riding? Is it worse in the woods?
Quali-TY with a capital "T" there Chris! Great exercise that has its own chapter in Total Control by Lee Parks! Thanks for posting.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote