Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:34 AM   #25
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Look at it this way: I regularly abuse a $5000+ carbon mountain bike (I only mention this part because it's roughly equivalent to a new ninjette). I bought it knowing full well that it was going to be crashed. It has a couple scratches and nicks in the paint already. That doesn't mean I'm reckless and loose with money, it just means that I've accepted the reality of using and enjoying a product that I purchased.

Your Ninja 300 (400?) is your first bike and learning was always in its job description, as it will be for many many other riders. The first scratch hurts the worst, but everything after that is easy peasy. I dropped mine in the driveway twice, my dad dumped it in a trailer when we were unloading after a track day, and I even crashed it at speed on the track (on my spare body panels). It is what it is. That's a very likely reality of owning a motorcycle.

I guess what I'm saying is that every motorcycle touches the ground at some point during its life, even if it's just kissing the garage floor when the owner is able to baby it down and negate any damage. If you're really afraid of scratching the plastics to the point where you're significantly hindered in your willingness to ride the thing... scrape together $500, buy a beater dirt bike, and make this learning thing happen. Do you drive a manual transmission car normally or is learning to use a clutch also part of the issue?

Real talk:
Were you this afraid of driving when you were 16 and had your temporary permit and were learning to drive a car? Are you this afraid of driving on a daily basis? Likely not. So why is the motorcycle any different? Only way to learn is to go and do. Respectfully, that's my
/real talk
I accept that she is eventually going to get harmed in some way, just doing what I can to not do something stupid to make it happen sooner.

In all honesty, I was afraid to drive. I didn't get my license until I was 17 and my parents bought me private driving lessons instead of having me do driver's ed. I didn't go through having temps at all, just did the lessons and took the test at the DMV. I love driving now, can't imagine life without it. It's not so much that I'm afraid of riding my bike, just wanting to be careful. Maybe I'm being too careful. All I know is that I refuse to let her just sit until my BRC in July, and that is why I am getting on her and riding her on Sundays. I just don't have much time during the week due to work or I would be on her more than that. You are right, going and doing is the way, and that's what I've been trying to do

Oh, and I've been driving manual transmission cars for 17 years. No problem there. I think that is helping me here.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.