View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #122
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
50wt oil is recommended in the ninjette when temps get over 105*. If your location has that types of temps, I'd fully agree that using a 50wt oil is a good choice. If not, your providing more internal drag for the engine at lower temps. With the small amount of HP these bikes produce, I would think the lightest (proper) oil you can get away with would be the better choice.

I use 40wt in my bike as that's what's recommended.

switch over to a full synth at 1000 miles... you'll be glad you did.
PG 2-47 of the Coffee Table Version of RTFM

○Although 10W-40 engine oil is the recommended oil
for most* conditions, the oil viscosity may need to be
changed to accommodate atmospheric conditions in
your riding area.

*emphasis mine

In the attached image it shows 10w40 recommended for 14*F-104*F
It ALSO shows 20w50 recommended for 32*F to beyond 104*F

It does not state ANYWHERE that 20w50 CAN ONLY BE USED ABOVE 105*F

Oil covers an operating RANGE not a definite. I want an oil that covers the range I ride in all year round, especially when I can go from 115*F at 10am to 75*F by noon simply by taking a ride up to Flagstaff. I do not like having to stock "Winter Oil" and "Summer Oil". 20w50 covers ALL of my riding conditions on BOTH of my bikes. If I were racing all the time, or had a dedicated race bike, I would have a different approach and would most likely run a Straight weight oil rather then a dual rate for just such parasitic losses.

Now, to get on topic

Installed a Hotbodies Dark Smoke Double Bubble style fairing. Now my son can damn near sit upright and have the wind still be directed over his head. But it at least makes it easier for me to tuck down. Going to switch back to a 14T front sprocket as the bike is having a hard time with the steep grades with my fat butt in the saddle with the 15/42 gearing.

Also working on making a bracket to install a pair of 29mm round slide non-CV carbs just because they are sitting on the bench and I have a good range of jets for them