Thread: Oahu anyone?
View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2053
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Okay guys here's an update on my bike since I'm in the home stretch.

As you know, sometime in early October, it spun a rod bearing. The exact cause I'm still not sure,but my guess is that the primary chain (the chain linking the crankshaft to the transmission), had tons of slack, and on a hard decel/accel, managed to damage the bearing. That shredded the bearing and blocked up the oil passages to the top end, which subsequently overheated. That was enough to scorch the cam lobes, journals, and a few of the rocker arms. It also scored the rod journal and filled the oil hole with bearing material. The local machine shop (Ted's) didn't have a grinder small enough to fix it, and there are no under/oversized bearings available from Honda.

Now on to the work that's been done:

- 592cc 10.5:1 CR pistons by JE (up from 544cc 9.0:1 CR)
- WebCam camshaft, .330/.330 lift, 288/288 duration (up from .252/.272 lift, 240/245 duration ** can't find accurate specs, but that's what it was reported as)
- Kibblewhite Black Diamond oversized intake valves (+1mm over stock or 28.5mm)
- Kibblewhite Black Diamond stock sized exhaust valves (23mm)
- Kibblewhite heavy duty valve springs
- Serdi valve job
- Barnett heavy duty +1 plate clutch kit
- APE chrome moly head studs
- Stage 3 porting and cylinder boring by JMR
- APE lightened crankshaft
- Carpy's Yoshimura-style exhaust
- HondaMan transistorized ignition kit
- HondaMan swingarm rebuild with SAE 660 bronze bushings
- Progressive shocks
- Progressive fork springs
- New fork tubes (out of stock at the shop I want them from, should be in stock soon)

That's about it for the engine and suspension. I'm still contemplating getting my transmission undercut, as well as either forged rods or aluminum rods.

Will all the big and light internals with massive flow, it'll be more like a roadrace engine, not wanting to be under a certain RPM, and will take off like it has a turbo when it hits that sweet spot. According to an expert, I'll have a hard time getting the advance curve and timing just right. And since it's a points-type ignition with a centrifugal spring advance, I'll have to do some actual work to get it right.

As for the cosmetics, I'll be powdercoating the frame, swingarm, and triple tree Gulf Orange (marigold). The bodywork MAY have to wait as I'll be spending tons on the El Camino to pass safety inspection (and feel a bit safer when I'm driving it). But it'll be Gulf Blue (Powder Blue) with an orange stripe, just like the Gulf livery. I'm still playing with ideas in my head though. I'll have a more definite description eventually. I'll be replacing the wheels with some Excel or Akront wheels with a large polished shoulder and stainless spokes. Already have my black clip-ons. I'll also be doing something with the seat, not sure what.

And here's some pictures for you autophiles (everything's still kinda dirty with lube and such).

@Gorilla25